Table of Contents
- GoC Cloud Native Working Group
- Open Source involvement:
- Maintainer of Drupal WxT 7⁄8
- Technical Architect:
Honors, Bachelor of Computer Science, Carleton University
// Minor in Psychology
// September 2006 – August 2010
Graduate of the Computer Science program at Carleton University in the software and computing stream, with specializations in human-computer interaction. Honors project was done as part of the HCI lab and involved creation of a mobile app leveraging Phonegap (now called Apache Cordova) in order to deliver a narrative based geolocative storyline on a mobile phone.
Game Development, Algonquin College
// September 2004 - June 2006
Completed 2 of 3 years in game development program at Algonquin College before switching into the Bachelor of Computer Science program at Carleton University. Core concepts focused on leveraging Direct X and Object Oriented Programming with C++. One of the years end projects was to create and render a chess board with all of the built in rulesets.
Cloud Operations Team (2018 - Present)
Technical Architect with a focus on containerization and Kubernetes. Notable job functions include the following:
- Administration, support, and maintenance of multiple Kubernetes clusters on Azure (AKS, ACS Engine)
- Onboarding of teams towards a micro services approach through containerization and cloud native tooling
- Creation of various docker images, often along with a corresponding Helm chart. (Drupal, Hadoop w/Hive, NiFi, Kylo, etc)
- Providing a full CI/CD pipeline either through VSTS, Jenkins and/or GitLab CI with Kubernetes integration
- DevTest Labs workflow leveraging formulas / artifacts (calling ansible playbooks) to fully provision a VM
- SAS containerization and workflow improvements
- JupyterHub for Kubernetes integration
- WxT theming support
- Notebooks for Python, Tensorflow, Stata, SAS, etc
- Facilitating container security through tools such as Artifactory, XRay
Web Content Management Team (2011 - 2017)
Technical Architect with a focus on improving content delivery leveraging Drupal. Notable job functions include the following:
- Technical Architect of Drupal portal for open.canada.ca (2013-2018)
- Architected both Drupal 7⁄8 versions of the portal
- Maintained, monitored and administered portal for a period of 5 years
- Tight integration between Drupal + Search API / Solr
- Custom integration bewtween Drupal + CKAN leveraging JsonAPI
- Various interactive components including blog, rating, and submission of apps
- Access to Information and all of its associated faceted displays
- Server load and performance testing
- Redesign / Re-architecture to support the various theme updates to WxT
- Technical Architect of Drupal portal for statcan.gc.ca (2011-2018)
- Technical architect for both Drupal 7⁄8 versions of the portal
- Maintained, monitored and administered portal for a period of 7 years
- Creation of the Drupal WxT variant to share with other departments
- Migration of 100,000+ html pages and other content into the CMS while performing data cleansing and validation (HTML5)
- Adherance to WCAG 2.0 AA and Government of Canada web standards
- Developed a distirbuted content staging model using web services, rest via json, and UUID
- Ensure the platform provides extensive multilingualism support across both the front and back end interfaces
- Assisted in development of the new Dissemination Model to make finding data on portal easier to find
- Work alongside a contractor on extending Drupal to be more of an output metadata framework powered by REST
Open Plus (openplus.ca)
// September 2010 – March 2011 (Full Time)
// March 2011 – Present (Contract, Part Time)
Developer for Open Plus a web development firm advocating Open Source technology. Responsibilities include interacting with different type of clients (NGO, Government, and Private Sector) and implementing a wide array of technical solutions particularly enterprise content management systems (CMS) as well as enterprise search leveraging either ElasticSearch / Solr. Enterprise hosting is largely facilitated through Amazon EC2. Recent work within the last 5 years at Open Plus have included:
- Research and development for upcoming clients:
- Integration with Orcid API into Drupal 8
- Improved ui / patterns for migrating content via NodeJS (express / cheerio) + migrate (Drupal)
- Development for the Ontario Public Service Employee Union website (opseu.org):
- Consulted in the design and architecture
- Migrated content from a internal xml based cms (LifeRay) into Drupal
- Integration with Apache Solr along with improvements to search processors and mappings
- Consulting for the University of Ottawa website (uottawa.ca):
- Providing guidance on server architecture, CI/CD best practices, as well as provisioning
- Migrated content into the Faculty of Medicine website
- Consulting for City of Ottawa (ottawa.ca):
- Providing guidance on server architecture
- Assisted in migration of thousands of legacy content across disparate services into Drupal
- Development for the Standards Council of Canada website (scc.ca):
- Assisted in the design and overall architecture
- Indexed content in Apache Solr from a variety of back ends including Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, REST, and RSS
Carleton University: Carleton Library (library.carleton.ca)
// December 2009 - July 2010
Web Developer tasked with creating a new Carleton Library site alongside the Senior Web Developer using the Drupal Content Management System. The tasks consist of porting all the content from the old library site into Drupal all the while making the markup more accessible to screen readers and allowing for the users of the library to more easily find the information they were looking for.
Web Experience Toolkit (wet-boew/wet-boew-drupal)
// March 2011 – Present
Core maintainer of the Drupal WxT Variant, which integrates exclusively with the Web Experience Toolkit to provide an open source, accessible, usable, and interoperable framework for Government and Enterprise organizations.
Public Service Excellence Award 2014
Received the public service excellence award in the “Excellence in Citizen Focused Delivery” category for my work on the Open Data platform (open.canada.ca).
Team of the Year Award 2014
Received the team of the year at Statistics Canada for my work on the Open Data platform (open.canada.ca).
GTEC Winner 2014
Won for Category 1: Excellence in Public Service Delivery – External for the Next Generation Open Data Portal. A joint effort between Statistics Canada and the Treasury Board Secretariat.
GTEC Honoree 2013
Received an Honoree nomination at GTEC under the category of “Collaboration around a Web Content Management Framework for Government and Public Institutions”. This was a joint submission by Statistics Canada, Canadian Transportation Agency, University of Ottawa, and the City of Ottawa.
A+ Certified Professional
Years of experience leading to a designation as a computing certified technician from COMPTIA.
References are available upon request.